About Us > Earth Care
"When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established; what are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them? Yet you have made them a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor. You have given them dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under their feet, all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the paths of the seas. O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!" Psalm 8:3-9
PC(USA) Environmental Ministries has created a new certification program for environmentally responsible churches, called “Earth Care Congregations: A Guide to Greening Presbyterian Churches.” The goal of the program is to inspire churches to care for God’s earth in a holistic way, through integrating earth care into all of church life. The session at First Presbyterian Church, Martinsville took the Earth Care Pledge (see below) in November 2020 and applied to be a certified Earth Care Congregation and became certified March 2021.
Earth Care Pledge
Peace and justice is God’s plan for all creation. The earth and all creation are God’s. God calls us to be careful, humble stewards of this earth, and to protect and restore it for its own sake, and for the future use and enjoyment of the human family. As God offers all people the special gift of peace through Jesus Christ, and through Christ reconciles all to God, we are called to deal justly with one another and the earth.
1. Our worship and discipleship will celebrate God’s grace and glory in creation and declare that God calls us to cherish, protect and restore this earth.
2. In education, we will seek learning and teaching opportunities to know and understand the threats to God’s creation and the damage already inflicted. We will encourage and support each other in finding ways of keeping and healing the creation in response to God’s call to earth-keeping, justice and community.
3. Our facilities will be managed, maintained and upgraded in a manner that respects and cherishes all creation, human and non-human, while meeting equitably the needs of all people. In our buildings and on our grounds we will use energy efficiently, conserve resources, and share what we have in abundance so that God’s holy creation will be sustainable for all life and future generations.
4. Our outreach will encourage public policy and community involvement that protects and restores the vulnerable and degraded earth as well as oppressed and neglected people. We will be mindful that our personal and collective actions can positively or negatively affect our neighborhood, region, nation and world. We will seek to achieve environmental justice through coalitions and ecumenical partnerships.
- First Presbyterian Church of Martinsville Session Affirmed, November 2020
Earth Care Activities and Upcoming Events
*All activities will take place at First Presbyterian Church unless otherwise indicated.
To learn more:
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
1901 PATRICK HENRY AVE.
MARTINSVILLE, VA 24112
VOICE: (276) 632-3431
FAX: (276) 632-3802
Copyright © 2023 - First Presbyterian Church of Martinsville, Virginia - All rights reserved.
Web Development: Chatmoss Web Systems